April 26, 2007

It's Different!

This post is inspired by a help desk call I recently heard take place at work, and later a co-worker and I got silly while discussing it at lunch. It involves a user who is trying to sign onto a system used for testing.

We now join the call in progress...
User: Hi! I am trying to get onto the test system and can't remember the password.

Help Desk Technician:
To sign onto the test
system use your normal user ID and the password "different"


User:
So my password is different?

HDT: Yes.


User:
But what is the test password?

HDT: "Different". It is the same as it was
before.

User: So it's the same?

HDT: Yep, it's "different".

User: It's the same and different?

HDT: Yes, you've got it.

User: I've got what?!?

HDT: The password, "different".

User: But it is the same as before?

HDT: Yup.

User: Is it the same as my normal password?

HDT: No, it's different.

User: Different than what?

HDT: The test password.

User: And what is the test password?

HDT: I already told you it is "different"

User: But you said it was the same.

HDT: Yes, the test password has not changed. It is "different".

User: And my normal password is
different?

HDT: No, it is the same. The test password is "different".

User: Let's start over. I want to sign on to the test system. I enter my normal user ID, and the test password which is...

HDT: "Different"

User: [groans] Which is the same, but different than my normal password.

HDT: Yes!

User: I give up! I didn't want to test this stuff,
anyway! [hangs up]

HDT: Users!

No comments: