October 09, 2008

Taking it ALL off...

If you are one of my friends or family, then you are aware that last week I decided to completely shave my head. My reason for doing this was that I was completely bored with the 1/4-inch-high hairstyle that I had been using for the last several years.

While I am not sure just how long I will continue to shave it due to weather conditions and the extra time it takes each morning, I must say that seeing the reactions of those I know has been a blast.

My sister-in-law, who has been cutting my hair for the last 22 years, sent me a mournful "OMG! Keith! What have you done with your hair!?" via Facebook. One woman I know exclaimed "Keith, you got a new head!" Another gave me a look as if I had cut off my arm and were dancing around the bloody appendage. A co-worker simply said "Nice head" implying that it had been completely hidden up till now. Many others were surprised, and I have gotten several compliments as well.

I didn't do this to get compliments or collect the shocked and amazed looks of those around me, but it has been fun seeing the different reactions. However, I recently realized I've gained something else from this experience. I've had several men tell me that shaving their head is something they will never do for one reason or another. Indeed, until not long ago I would have never thought I'd have done it, either. But I've crossed that line, one that many others will not cross, and I've found it a bit freeing.

The thought occurred to me that this might be what it is like for those who dye their hair bright colors or get tattoos. I've never understood the motivations for doing either, especially the latter. Perhaps it is for that feeling of stepping across a boundary that many won't dare, and finding that the water is fine. Of being able to look back across and see the changes that were wrought.

At this point in my life I still won't be getting a tattoo or dying my hair purple, so there are still some lines that I won't cross. I do think, however, that I've gained a greater appreciation for why people feel driven to cross them.

2 comments:

Julayne Hughes said...

So now that you know what it's like to cross heretofore-uncrossed lines, does that mean you'll go bungee jumping with me someday?

kh said...

No.