June 03, 2010

The Great Bathroom Hunt

I was attending the graduation ceremony of my niece at the Eastern Michigan University Convocation Center when I had to use the restroom, where I found a slight disparity in the signage between the Men's room and the Women's room.

First let's consider the Woman's room. As you can see in Exhibit 1 this room rates a large sign that is hung from the ceiling. In fact I could see these signs in either direction in the main corridor. I wondered if this is a bit of overkill, since locating the woman's room at events such as this is usually accomplished by looking for the line. Perhaps this is an indication to dim-witted, college-age males that women would be congregating here, and if they need a date for later this is the place to look?

Then we have Exhibit 2, the Men's room sign. Clearly the innate hunting and tracking skills of the male part of the species are being given due respect by this small sign taped to a concrete column somewhat near the entrance to the Men's room. Either that or someone is being awful brave, as we might just do our stuff in a nearby corner or out in the landscaping if we can't find the proper facilities.

Or perhaps they thought we'd use the Women's room for a quick pee while picking up our date for later. And if all the stalls are full, then we could demonstrate our adaptability by using the sinks as ad-hoc urinals. Aww yeah, ladies, you know you can't resist those mad skills!

Perhaps I'm reading a bit too much into this, and maybe I should take that as a sign that this post should be over. I'm just glad I found the right restroom, because I like to save the whole sink-turned-into-urinal thing for special occasions.

No comments: