April 05, 2008

Rambling Rant: The Causes of War

When I was out driving not too long ago I saw a car with a bumper sticker that read "What Has Your Life Done To Prevent The Causes of War?" As I followed this person for a mile or so my eyes were riveted to that sticker and my mind filled with responses. Even though the question is vague and non-specific, I thought I understood the agenda and attitude that was behind it.

But first, a minor grammar rant: Certainly not one of the main points I want to make, but I have to point something out. "My Life" does nothing. I can't sit in my recliner and send "My Life" out to get some milk, write a novel, or find a cure for hangnails. The things that I do every day make up my life. So don't ask me what "My Life" has done; you might as well ask what "My Resume" has done. We now return to your regular rant already in progress...


This question was blaming me because war exists in this world. Our country is currently at war, at least in part, because I have not done anything to stop it. The whole point of the sticker was to fill me with guilt so that I would do something keep war from happening. I'm sure if I would have asked the driver of this car what I could do, I would have been told who I should vote for in the Presidential election. If we only get so-and-so in office, all war will cease. Yeah, right.

As it turns out, I don't respond very well to blatant attempts to make me feel guilty. I tend to get angry and sarcastic. OK, I'm sarcastic all the time but it's worse when I'm angry.
So rather than running cars with stickers like this off the road, I will share what I have done to prevent the causes of war:
  1. I have not invaded another country nor taken its lands for my own. (I did try to give Ohio away once, but that doesn't count.)
  2. I have not ordered or participated in the mass genocide of other peoples.
  3. I do not have, nor am I making, Weapons of Mass Destruction. (My wife might disagree with this one right after I've eaten baked beans or Mexican food.)
  4. I have never ousted an unfavorable regime so another who is more sympathetic to my goals could take power.
  5. I have never launched a preemptive strike. (Not even against Ohio State the week before the Michigan game.)
I consider those things to be the five most common reasons that wars start, so I score pretty well there. Maybe I should be in charge of the UN. But to turn the question around a bit, I also do not do the following:
  1. I do not forget that war is a messy business that costs lives on both sides.
  2. I do not forget that once started a war must be seen to it's conclusion, otherwise it is like the surgeon leaving the table in the middle of an operation.
  3. I do not forget that young men and women have died in the service of America, and that they should be honored for that sacrifice.
  4. I do not forget that young men and women are living in harm's way right now in order to protect our country and others, and that they should be honored for their service.
  5. I do not believe one-sided media coverage that has more to do with furthering a political agenda than keeping me informed of what is happening in war-time.
  6. I do not demand that a war should be over just because I want it to be.
So don't try to fill me full of guilt because war exists in our world. I haven't started any. War is a bad thing, and I would like to see it go away as much as anyone. But one thing I know for sure is that world peace will never be brought about because of a bumper sticker.

End of Rant.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Gizmo!

Anonymous said...

Great rant. Most bumper stickers are like the one you mentioned. There is an agenda behind every one. Except for the one I saw the other day. "Elvis, if you're out there we will find you."- USCG Search & Rescue

kh said...

I'm glad you liked it. What happened to the good old days when most bumper stickers were fun. Now they are either political or rude.

Elvis had better watch out, though!

Indiana Jim said...

Love your blog, Ed.

kh said...

Thank you, sir!